Friday, January 1, 2010

NYE with MINUS THE BEAR

Yesterday, we spent the day at Pioneer Square (Seattle's most historical part of town) and took the "famous" underground tour. Essentially, you go down into some tunnels and learn about how Seattle was founded and how majority of the people that built the city and were of importance back then were prostitutes, cheating politicians, and a not very intelligent pyromaniac.

After learning more then either one of us probably desired to know about Seattle in the 1800's we attempted to find food but unfortunately the one restaurant that looked appealing rejected us because we were not 21 (lame!). That didn't stop us from exploring more and not settling for one of the many many pizza places. We were on a search for soup and when we were moments away from giving up we stumbled upon "Soup & Friends". The soup was delicious and Soup and Friends was located right next to a crepe place who's name currently escapes me. I wish I could remember their name because it was DELICIOUS.

On to New Years Eve...

Michael and I spent the early evening trying to look older and memorize our alter egos Jimar and Nicole. When we arrived at The Showbox I got a brief glance and a smile from the man checking our i.d.s (p.s. I was supposedly 28 years old) and Mike got a double look over but still got in regardless.

The first band that played was Kay Kay and the Weathered Underground. A magical group of twelve people. Including a violinist, cellist, VIOLIST, general horn section and the basic piano, guitar, drum, bass, etc. Their music is very up beat and happy. I highly recommend them.

Next was The Lonely Forest. I don't really remember them as much because I was a little tipsy at this moment but I do remember the lead singer looked like a young Jake Gyllenhaal. (Think Donnie Darko or The Good Girl, Jake.) It was almost creepy once I made this connection. I do also remember they all seemed very happy and appreciative to be playing.

Then, mystically, I ended up front row center for Minus the Bear. I still don't know how this happened. But it was absolutely wonderful in every sense of the word. I couldn't stop smiling. I was so close, I could reach my hand out and touch the lead singer (who we saw walking pass us on the street earlier the day). There was no count-down to 2010 because Minus the Bear was too busy blowing everyone's mind with their musical wonderfulness.

The night then ended with a bottle of pink champagne and getting to know our fellow residents at the hostel.

Overall, a wonderful, musical, magical way to start the year.

1 comment:

  1. what no pics? ....sounds good but want to see what your talking about...
    mommabear

    ReplyDelete